Tuesday, May 24, 2011

5/24/2011 Jack Safety





Jack Safety: Using a floor jack and jack stands


When I was younger, I once changed the oil myself in my 1992 Nissan Sentra. I used the standard scissors jack it came with, jacked up the front right side, and slid underneath to do the work. Nothing bad happened, but I had no idea of the danger I had put myself in…and in this case, what you don’t know can kill you! Today’s safety topic comes from Mike Bumbeck, the author of http://www.clunkbucket.com/. This is what he has to say on the subject:

While the scissor jack in your trunk is fine for emergency wheel changes, when it comes time to working underneath your vehicle, a floor jack and two or more sturdy jack stands are the tools for the job. A heavy-duty floor jack used in conjunction with jack stands will provide safe vehicle support. Never work under a vehicle supported by a jack alone.

Jack Types

Floor jack and jack stand sets are more affordable than ever. Everything from smaller lightweight 1-ton to super duty 5-ton models can be found for a reasonable price. Determining which setup you need depends largely on the weight of your vehicle. There's no need to get a 5-ton set if you drive a compact import, and a 1-ton set won't cut it for lifting a full size SUV.

Another important factor to consider is vehicle ground clearance. Low-profile floor jacks are designed to squeeze into tight spaces. Some sportier cars and trucks have ground hugging front, rear, and side mounted aerodynamic body panels that require a low-profile floor jack for clearance. If you can't get the jack under the vehicle you're back to square one.

Procedure

The procedure is to raise the vehicle high enough to get the jack stands underneath, and then slowly lower the vehicle onto the stands. Once the vehicle is secure on the stands, the jack can be removed, allowing you to work safely underneath. The very first step is to park the vehicle on solid, level ground such as a concrete or paved surface. Place the vehicle in park, set the emergency brake, or use a wheel chock to prevent the vehicle from moving.

Jacking and jack stand support points are also extremely crucial. A jack or jack stand in the wrong location can cause vehicle or bodily damage. Your owner's manual is a good place to find safe jacking locations for your vehicle. Never jack up a vehicle from a point not designed to handle the load. If unsure about where to place a jack or jack stand, the best strategy is to stop. Do not attempt to guess at a good location. You can easily put holes in your floorboards or worse—yourself!

Lowering

When lowering the vehicle onto the stands or back onto the ground it is important to g-e-n-t-l-y release the hydraulic pressure inside the jack. Before lowering the vehicle always double check your jack stands, or make sure the area is clear by looking and loudly saying "clear!" Slow lowering of the vehicle not only prevents damage, but gives you time to see any potential hazards before they occur. Practice raising and lowering the jack to get a good feel for how it operates before attempting the real deal.

After the vehicle is up and on the jack stands always check for solid support before attempting to work underneath. The best way to do this is to grab onto the bumper and give the vehicle a quick back and forth shake. It's much better to determine if the vehicle is solidly supported while you're above it then when underneath. The wheel chock is a good idea for an extra margin of safety once you have performed this test. Take it slow the first time around and soon you will be raising and lowering your vehicle like a pro.

2 comments:

  1. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Benjamin That Save My Family From Financial Bondage {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com}

    Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Benjamin, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by the foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Benjamin. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to Le_Meridian Funding Service and for the help of Mr, Benjamin for giving me a meaning to life when i had lost all hope. If you currently seeking for a loan assistance, you can contact them via: {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com} Or WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete